Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Closing date : 2 January 2023
Vacancy : Food Security Expert
• Respect for Diversity and Team Work • Think Africa Above all
• Transparency and Accountability • Integrity and Impartiality
• Efficiency and Professionalism • Information and Knowledge Shari
Reports to: Head of Division, Agriculture and Food Security
Directorate/Department: Directorate of Agriculture and Rural Development (ARD), ARBE
Division: Agriculture and Food Security (AFSD)
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Job Grade: P3, step 5
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Purpose of Job
The African Union (AU) is a Pan-African body charged with the responsibility of spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa, as well as developing new partnerships worldwide. Based at the AU Headquarters in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, the Department of Agriculture, Rural Development, Blue Economy and Sustainable (DARBE) of the African Union Commission (AUC) is responsible for managing agriculture, rural economy and development, environment and natural resources issues.
The Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP) is Africa’s policy framework for agricultural transformation, wealth creation, food security and nutrition, economic growth and prosperity for all.
The African Union Assembly of Heads of State and Government adopted the Comprehensive Africa Agricultural Development Programme (CAADP) in 2003 in Maputo, Mozambique as the Flagship Programme of the African Union for agriculture and food security. This was instrumental in raising the profile of agriculture to the centre of development agenda at national, regional and global levels. In 2013, after a decade of implementation, demand for more clarity was expressed by AU Member States and stakeholders in terms of further elaboration and refinement of the CAADP targets, and assessment of technical efficacies and political feasibilities for success in agricultural transformation. The AU Heads of State and Government adopted the Declaration on Accelerated Agricultural Growth and Transformation (Doc. Assembly/AU/2(XXIII)) in June 2014 in Malabo, Equatorial Guinea. The Malabo Declaration sets the Africa 2025 Vision for Agriculture which is implemented within the Framework of CAADP as a vehicle to implement and achieve the First Ten Year Implementation Plan of Africa’s Agenda 2063.
• Provide technical support in the preparation and implementation of programmes developed out of the Division’s strategic plan
• Ensure effective coordination and implementation at various levels
• Liaise with Member States, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), and other stakeholders on relevant matters
• Prepare and develop reports, budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the Division
• Provide technical support for the development of resource mobilization strategy with stakeholders coordination
• Conduct complex analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the Division and AU’s internal use.
• Liaise with the various Departments/Units of the Commission for coordination and alignment purposes
• Prepare budgets for the Division in accordance with relevant frameworks. Support the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets as may be required.
• Actively contribute in the development of strategies, policies, programmes and plans.
• Coordinate the development and implementation of appropriate policies, frameworks, strategies and programmes related to food and nutrition Security;
• Identify and coordinate actions which will have a strategic impact on food security conditions in a post-COVID environment;
• Support the implementation of policies, strategies and programmes on food security and nutrition under a multidisciplinary vision of the Malabo Declaration, SDGs, Agenda 2063 and the African Common Position of the UNFSS;
• Develop work plans and prepare periodic reports on the implementation of AU Assembly and STC, ARDWE Decisions, policies, frameworks to enhance food and nutrition security;
• Initiate, maintain, establish and operationalize platforms for high level political engagements on food and nutrition security including coordinating the commemoration of the Africa Day for Food and Nutrition Security;
• Contribute to continental food security and nutrition reporting and scorecard;
• Initiate, maintain, and/or strengthen strategic partnerships with key stakeholders and build consensus and agreements on the agenda of food security and agriculture;
• Undertake capacity building initiatives and outreach activities to strengthen awareness and early warning systems for food insecurity and food shortage situation and propose remedial strategies;
• Represent the Commission at international/inter-governmental meetings and conferences, advocate for collaboration, best practices, and increased policy dialogue,;
• Provide support in documenting and sharing best practices on food and nutrition security;
• Participate in intra- and inter-departmental programme activities which are related to food and nutrition security;
• Work closely with AUDA-NEPAD and Regional Economic Communities to provide technical support to strengthen the capacity of Member States in the areas of food security analysis;
• Perform any other duties that may be assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
The incumbent should have:
• A Master’s degree in Agricultural Sciences, Social Sciences, Agricultural Economics, Economics, Development Studies, or any related field. A certificate in food and nutrition security is an added advantage.
• A minimum of seven (7) years experience at continental level on food systems and agricultural transformation of which three (3) years should be at expert level.
• A Bachelor degree in Agricultural Sciences, Social Sciences, Agricultural Economics, Economics, Development Studies, or any related field. A certificate in food and nutrition security is an added advantage.
• A minimum of ten (10) years experience at continental level on food systems and agricultural transformation, of which three (3) years should be at expert level.
The incumbent should also have experience in:
• Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting Tools;
• Results Based Management;
• Stakeholder engagement at RECs, Continental and Global levels including development partners;
• Facilitating meetings, Conferences and workshops;
• Organising continental level platforms.
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Sound planning and organisational skills
• Ability to negotiate diplomatically
• Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development
• Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Accountable and Complies with Rules…
Communicating with Influence…
Job Knowledge and information sharing…
Drive for result…
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The Appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of one (1) year, of which the first three (3) months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract may be renewed for a similar period subject to funding availability, satisfactory performance and agreed deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal-opportunity employer, and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump sum of US$ 96,921.34 (P3 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 78,461.08 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
Applications must be made not later than 2 January 2023.
Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
The Africa Union is an equal-opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Requisition ID: 1567
Disclaimer: Though we make every effort to verify the authenticity of our posts, We’re in no way affiliated to any of these companies whose vacancies we publish.
Job Scam Alert
Do not pay anything in Job Search .
The Employer should pay you not the other way
Don’t Be Scammed.
SUBSCRIBE on Youtube
Follow Hot Zimbabwe Jobs on Twitter
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
FOR UPDATES VIA WHATSAPP CLICK HERE
Click HERE to join Hot Zimbabwe Jobs Telegram Channel