Location : Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Closing Date : 6 December 2022
African Union (AU)
Vacancy : Head, Industry, Innovation and Mining
Purpose of Job
To provide strategic leadership for the effective management of the Division of Industry, Innovation and Mining in order to achieve the objectives of the Division and the African Union.
- Supervise and manage employees of the Division with regard to organisation and performance evaluation;
- Design strategies and policies consistent with the Department’s goal in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
- Contribute to the development of the departmental business continuity plan and ensure implementation at division level;
- Ensure risk management and mitigation;
- Design and plan policy programs to achieve the strategies;
- Develop new and expand on existing activities as components of the strategies and policies;
- Address problems using the current approaches in the area of industry, innovation & minerals;
- Engage stakeholders within Members States and Regional Economic Communities (RECs) in designing and implementing strategies;
- Represent the African Union and explain its position at conferences.
- Mobilise from donors and partners, funding and resources to implement the Departmental strategies, programs and activities;
- Lead and monitor budget execution for the Division;
- Lead and monitor preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports.
- Coordinate and harmonize implementation of policies and programs in the area of industry, innovation & minerals policy development across AU Member States, the RECs and other international organizations to ensure maximum impact of the African Industrial Development and Integration;
- Provide substantive support on industry, innovation and minerals issues to AU Policy Organs (such as the Specialized Technical Committee (STC) on Trade, Tourism, Industry and Minerals) by offering strategic advice, giving technical guidance and assisting in developing a consensus;
- Coordinate the implementation and evaluation of projects and programs in the areas of SMEs development, agro- industries, green industrialization, and eco-industrial parks within AU Member States & RECs;
- Develop policy proposals and recommendations that promote a conducive environment for industrial development and innovation in Africa;
- Lead the organizing of relevant conferences, workshops, seminars and meetings in the areas of Industry, Innovation and Minerals Policy development;
- Coordinate research in related field of work of the Division of Industry, Innovation and Minerals;
- Manage and supervise day-to-day activities of staff within the Division and responsible for staff performance appraisal;
- Responsible for annual budget preparation, execution and reporting;
- Lead preparation of periodic activity reports of the Division;
- Coordinate harmonization of industrial, Mineral and Innovation policy measures, strategies and regulatory frameworks on the continent in order to promote industrial development and growth;
- Lead the development of programs that support value addition by African industries in order to promote resource-based industrialization in Africa;
- Lead the development and implementation of programs aimed at promoting technology transfer, commercialization of industrial research, establishment of technical support and incubation centers for SMEs, Special Economic Zones and Industrial Parks;
- Promote and strengthens Quality infrastructure programs at continental, regional and national levels;
- Collaborate with relevant national, regional, continental and global institutions in the development of intellectual property rights (IPRs) and access to knowledge;
- Supervise the development of comprehensive programs to position Africa to benefit from digital economy and the 4th Industrial Revolution, encourage industrial competitiveness, monitor industrial performance and support the Start-ups through the establishment of an African Industrial Database;
- Provide technical support and advisory to Member states as well as other public and private organizations and institutions on the continent in dealing with industrial development and mineral resource development;
- Collaborate with other African Union Commission Departments undertaking related projects, programs and policies;
- Promote good working relationships and cooperation with relevant stakeholders and partners;
- Perform any other related duties that may be assigned.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree in Industrial Development, Economics, Business, Engineering or related field with twelve (12) years of relevant progressive work experience of which five (5) years must be at managerial level and three (3) years at supervisory level;
- Experience in policy formulation will be an advantage.
- A demonstrated ability to initiate and promote collaborative approaches between geographically and culturally disparate partners
- Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations both internally and externally
- Interpersonal and analytical skills
- Oral and written communication skills
- Ability to develop and delegate clear program goals, plans and actions, including budgets, that are consistent with agreed strategies
- Ability to effectively lead, supervise, mentor, develop and evaluate staff
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Managing Risk ….
Communicating with impact:
Foster Accountability Culture:
Drive for result:
Job Knowledge and information sharing:
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.88.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Applications must be made not later than December 6, 2022.
Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
The Africa Union is an equal-opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Disclaimer: Though we make every effort to verify the authenticity of our posts, We’re in no way affiliated to any of these companies whose vacancies we publish.
Job Scam Alert
Do not pay anything in Job Search .
The Employer should pay you not the other way
Don’t Be Scammed.
SUBSCRIBE on Youtube
Follow Hot Zimbabwe Jobs on Twitter
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
FOR UPDATES VIA WHATSAPP CLICK HERE
Click HERE to join Hot Zimbabwe Jobs Telegram Channel
- Agriculture College
- Apprenticeship Intake
- Army Recruitment
- Careers A-Z
- Common Interview Questions
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- HOT INTAKES
- HOT TIPS
- HOT ZIM JOB NEWS
- HOT ZIM JOBS
- HOT ZIM TENDERS
- How to
- International Days
- International Jobs
- JOB SEARCH GLOSSARY
- Jobs in Algeria
- Jobs in Botswana
- Jobs in Cameroon
- Jobs in Ethiopia
- Jobs in Gabon
- Jobs in Gambia
- Jobs in Ghana
- Jobs in Ivory Coast
- Jobs in Lesotho
- Jobs in Mali
- Jobs in Morocco
- Jobs in Rwanda
- Jobs in South Africa (SA)
- Jobs in Sudan
- Jobs in Tanzania
- Jobs in Zambia
- NURSING INTAKE
- Polytechnic Colleges
- Teachers College
- University Intakes
- Vocational Training
- ZPCS Recruitment