Station : Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Closing Date : 26 September 2022
African Union (AU)
Vacancy : Head of Medical Support Services
Purpose of Job
To provide technical leadership for the supervision and management for the effective performance of the Radiology, Pharmacy and Laboratory Units.
- Manages the work of the Division and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance as per organization’s Performance Management policy and system;
- Designs strategies and policies consistent with the Department’s goal in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
- Contributes to the development of the departmental business continuity plan and ensure implementation at division level;
- Manages risk within the division and recommend mitigation strategies
- Designs and plans policy programs to achieve the strategies;
- Develops new and reviews activities as components of the strategies and policies;
- Addresses problems in arising to current approaches to relevant area.
- Engages stakeholders within Members States and RECs in designing and implementing strategies;
- Represents the organisation and explain its position at conferences;
- Mobilises funding from all donors to use to execute strategies and activities.
- Contributes to the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and monitor budget execution at division level.
- Creates an inspiring work environment to enable staff development and professional progression.
- Supervises and manages the employees of the Division with regard to organisation and performance evaluation.
- Designs strategies and policies consistent with the AU’s goal in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area.
- Prioritizes Medical programs and priorities, set the direction for Division’s activities, plans, priorities, and workflows in Radiology, Pharmacy and Laboratory Units respectively.
- Coordinates the activities of the different Units to support the expert clinical care of MHSD clients.
- Represents the Department in all meetings related to health issues and report back on issues discussed and on action required to the immediate supervisor.
- Ensures overall management of the Division; including performance, quality assurance, staff issues and budget related matters of all units under him/ her.
- Provides input into the recruitment of Division/MHSD staff as required.
- Set performance standards for self and staff, conduct performance appraisals on schedule and resolve intra unit conflicts.
- Produces and submits periodic reports on activities and specific missions.
- Participates in the upgrade of the AU Medical and Health Services Directorate in respect of Equipment, Diagnostic technologies and Continuous Medical Education.
- Oversees the continuing medical education programs for Medical Staff and training of Clinical Attaches and Interns within the Division.
- Participates in the development and delivery of health promotion, disease prevention and occupational Health and Safety programs of the Directorate (including HIV and AIDS in the workplace).
- Participates in programs of AU Medical Services Directorate in respect to technical advice to AU Regional Offices, Organs and AU Field Missions.
- Ensures overall management of the Division; budget management, monitoring, analysis, evaluation of staff performance, grievance and progressive discipline, and fiscal needs in conformity with the relevant rules and procedures
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned by his immediate supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree in Medicine (MD, MBBS, BMBCh) with 12 years post qualification relevant experience Relevant work experience within a government hospital or private practice, or an International organization which 7 years should be at managerial level and 5 years at supervisory level
- Must be a Member/ MMED of a professional Regional College of Physicians (Pathologists, Radiologist or Pharmacologists) with Ten (10) years work experience, including 5 years as Head of Department.
- Fellow of a professional Regional College of Physicians (Pathologists, Radiologist or Pharmacologists) with Eight (8) years work experience in a clinical role, including 3 years as Head of Department.
- Must be licensed to practice medicine as a Specialist in Laboratory Medicine/ Radiologist/ Pharmacologist in his/her home country or country of residence, as at the time of application.
- Must have gained eExperience as head of a clinical unit, section, service or department will be an advantage.
- Must have specialization in one of these specialties: Laboratory Medicine, Radiology or Clinical Pharmacology.
- Documented training in Logistics and Supply Chain Management.
- A demonstrated ability to initiate and promote collaborative approaches between geographically and culturally disparate partners
- Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations both internally and externally
- Ability to develop and delegate clear program goals, plans and actions, including budgets, that are consistent with agreed strategies
- Ability to effectively lead, supervise, mentor, develop and evaluate staff
- Working knowledge in the areas of policy analysis, and program / project management;
- Interpersonal skills and ability to organize and motivate others and work in a multicultural environment;
- Report writing and presentation skills.
- Planning and organization skills
- Scientific communication abilities as evidenced by scientific /other publications.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
- Strategic Perspective:
- Developing Others:
- Change Management:
- Managing Risk:
- Building relationships:
- Foster Accountability Culture:
- Learning Orientation:
- Communicating with impact:
- Conceptual thinking:
- Job Knowledge Sharing;
- Drive for Results
- Fosters Innovation:
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Applications must be made not later than September 26 , 2022.
Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
The Africa Union is an equal-opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Though we make every effort to verify the authenticity of our posts, We’re in no way affiliated to any of these companies whose vacancies we publish.
Job Scam Alert
Do not pay anything in Job Search .
The Employer should pay you not the other way
Don’t Be Scammed.
Follow Hot Zimbabwe Jobs on Twitter
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
FOR UPDATES VIA WHATSAPP CLICK HERE
Click HERE to join Hot Zimbabwe Jobs Telegram Channel
- Agriculture College
- Apprenticeship Intake
- Army Recruitment
- Careers A-Z
- Common Interview Questions
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- HOT INTAKES
- HOT TIPS
- HOT ZIM JOB NEWS
- HOT ZIM JOBS
- HOT ZIM TENDERS
- How to
- International Day
- International Jobs
- JOB SEARCH GLOSSARY
- Jobs in Algeria
- Jobs in Botswana
- Jobs in Cameroon
- Jobs in Ethiopia
- Jobs in Gabon
- Jobs in Gambia
- Jobs in Ghana
- Jobs in Ivory Coast
- Jobs in Lesotho
- Jobs in Mali
- Jobs in Morocco
- Jobs in Nigeria
- Jobs in Rwanda
- Jobs in South Africa (SA)
- Jobs in Sudan
- Jobs in Tanzania
- Jobs in Zambia
- NURSING INTAKE
- Polytechnic Colleges
- Teachers College
- University Intakes
- Vocational Training
- Volunteer Jobs
- ZPCS Recruitment