Location : Midrand, South Africa
Closing Date : 24 October 2022
African Union (AU)
Vacancy : Interpreter-Translator/French (PAP)
Purpose of Job
- To provide simultaneous and/or consecutive interpretation from English to French
- To translate documents from English into French
- Provides proper, clear, faithful simultaneous interpretation from French to English during conferences and meetings of the Parliament using standard, clear and accurate language.
- Provides consecutive interpretation when required during audiences and of statements
- during conferences, meetings, discussions etc.
- Uses exact understanding of PAP technical terminologies.
- Keeps abreast of developments in the field of languages, both in the source and target
- languages, by compiling and regularly updating specific terminologies, phrases, acronyms, and special expressions in order to widen and deepen vocabulary with the aim of enhancing skills and ability.
- Facilitates and participate in the development of PAP’s terminology/lexicons.
- Translates documents from English into French, ensuring the highest standard of accuracy and maintaining the spirit, context, quality, technical language and nuances of the original version using precise, clear, and proper terminologies.
- Performs any other related duty as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- Provides proper, clear, faithful consecutive and simultaneous interpretation mainly from English to French and also, preferably, from Portuguese, Spanish, Swahili or Arabic to French during various conferences and meetings of the Pan-African Parliament using standard, clear and accurate language;
- Translates, mainly from English to French, and also, preferably, from Portuguese, Spanish, Swahili or Arabic to French highly sensitive and technical documents from various sources, using Translation Memory, Terminology databases, and a whole range of CAT tools ensuring the highest standard of quality, accuracy, faithfulness to the spirit, style and nuances of the original document;
- Revises translations of complex and sensitive documents covering the full range of the Pan-African Parliament’s work;
- Edits French language original documents before they are sent for translation;
- Works with client units to develop terminology, as well as ensure compliance with established terminology and consistency;
- Contributes to the development and sharing of terminology within the Division and with all the internal and external stakeholders;
- Contributes to the performance evaluation of external interpreters and translators;
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Masters degree in Languages and a professional qualification from a recognised
- school of Interpretation/Translation with ten (10) years relevant work experience in interpretation/translation in an institution or international meetings on diverse issues with 6 years at Expert/Specialist level and 3 years at supervisory level.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Languages and a professional qualification from a recognised
- school of Interpretation/Translation with twelve (12) years relevant work experience in interpretation/translation in an institution or international meetings on diverse issues with 6 years at Expert/Specialist level and 3 years at supervisory level.
- Knowledge and use of interpretation and translation tools is required.
- •Ability to do simultaneous and consecutive interpretation from English to French
- Ability to translate from English to French, using modern translation tools such as Trados
- Typing skills that enables one to produce his/her own work independently
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development
- Fluency in any other AU official working languages (Portuguese, Arabic, Spanish, and Kiswahili) is an added advantage
Managing Risk ….
Foster Accountability Culture
Learning Orientation ….
.Communicating with impact
Job Knowledge and information sharing:
Drive for Results…
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 42,879.00 (P4 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (57% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 24,561.84 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Applications must be made not later than October 24, 2022.
Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
The Africa Union is an equal-opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Disclaimer: Though we make every effort to verify the authenticity of our posts, We’re in no way affiliated to any of these companies whose vacancies we publish.
Job Scam Alert
Do not pay anything in Job Search .
The Employer should pay you not the other way
Don’t Be Scammed.
SUBSCRIBE on Youtube
Follow Hot Zimbabwe Jobs on Twitter
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
FOR UPDATES VIA WHATSAPP CLICK HERE
Click HERE to join Hot Zimbabwe Jobs Telegram Channel
- Agriculture College
- Apprenticeship Intake
- Army Recruitment
- Careers A-Z
- Common Interview Questions
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- HOT INTAKES
- HOT TIPS
- HOT ZIM JOB NEWS
- HOT ZIM JOBS
- HOT ZIM TENDERS
- How to
- International Day
- International Jobs
- JOB SEARCH GLOSSARY
- Jobs in Algeria
- Jobs in Botswana
- Jobs in Cameroon
- Jobs in Ethiopia
- Jobs in Gabon
- Jobs in Gambia
- Jobs in Ghana
- Jobs in Ivory Coast
- Jobs in Lesotho
- Jobs in Mali
- Jobs in Morocco
- Jobs in Nigeria
- Jobs in Rwanda
- Jobs in South Africa (SA)
- Jobs in Sudan
- Jobs in Tanzania
- Jobs in Zambia
- NURSING INTAKE
- Polytechnic Colleges
- Teachers College
- University Intakes
- Vocational Training
- Volunteer Jobs
- ZPCS Recruitment