Website Caritas Zimbabwe
Station : Harare
Closing Date : 14 June 2022
Emergency Response Specialist
Scope of work
The scope of the job is to strengthen Civil Protection structures to improve efficiency and effectiveness of preparedness and response, in selected districts identified as the most affected locations for rapid onset natural disasters, such as flooding in order to build capacity of District Civil Protection Committees (DCPCs) to train Ward and Village CPCs and facilitate development of inclusive community-led early warning and early action (EW/EA) plans that harness indigenous knowledge systems as well as linking to meteorological forecasting systems.
Specific duties and responsibilities
- Supervision, Monitoring and giving technical guidance on: Supporting, Project Planning, monitoring and evaluation of the Strengthening of Disaster Preparedness Structures & Systems in selected districts of Zimbabwe through facilitating;
- Participating and supporting project sensitization inception launch at meetings at national and district level; Participating and facilitating quarterly review meetings, baseline survey routine monitoring endline survey and closeout meetings.
- Supporting, Capacitating, and support training of Civil Protection Structures at District and ward level to enhance community-based disaster preparedness and response: Participating in workshop with representatives from national & provincial civil protection structures to review current training modules and materials; Facilitate Training of Trainers for District CPCs in targeted districts; Supporting the Establishment and management of protocols and systems for government driven emergency operation centres (EOC); Facilitating training CPCs on utilization of the Displacement Tracking Tool.
- Facilitate the adoption of sustainable evidence-based preparedness and early warning systems by High-risk communities: Supporting of DCPC’s training of WCPCs & VCPCs and equip them with IECs and tools; Facilitate adoption and roll out of gender sensitive inclusive community-based response plans; Facilitating Participatory Scenario Planning; Procurement and distribution of suitable gadgets for raising alerts to trigger an evacuation of high-risk communities in targeted districts; Supporting production and distribution of Information, Education and Communication materials and tools for emergency preparedness and response; Coordinating Ward CPCs in running annual awareness campaigns; Supporting the provision of high-risk districts with appropriate equipment for monitoring early warning of flooding and high-risk weather events.
- Engaging District / Ward CPCs to manage and / or have access to emergency preparedness and response infrastructure, technology / equipment and NFIs: Facilitate the roll out of SOPs & Training Modules for stock management systems; Facilitate the Mapping of warehousing facilities in target districts; Facilitating training in Warehouse Management at district level; Supporting the establishment of a national evacuation strategy; Mapping suppliers and establish framework agreements with wholesalers for providing NFIs at community level; Supporting Cash Preparedness, Preliminary market assessments; Supporting procurement and provision of high-risk districts with appropriate search & rescue equipment; Facilitate the mapping, Needs Assessment, of evacuation centres in target districts and support the rehabilitation of the centres
Required qualifications and experience
- Has a social science / development studies degree and related or equivalent experience in Humanitarian Assistance, Emergency Response and Preparedness, Disaster Management, Community Managed Disaster Risk Reduction;
- Mature person who can work with senior government officials and community leadership;
- Knowledge of civil protection systems in Zimbabwe and experience in multi-stakeholder engagement;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in responding to disasters / emergencies in Zimbabwe;
- Proven skill in participatory rural appraisal and community-based trainings;
- Experience in Managing and coordinating projects at national level;
- Clean Class 4 Driver’s license is a must
Female Candidates are encouraged to apply.
Competencies required for all Caritas Zimbabwe staff
The successful incumbent accepts to strictly respect and protect children and vulnerable adults in all circumstances and is bound in honour to the obligation of reserve, respect for hierarchy and good behaviour as stated in the Caritas Zimbabwe Code of Conduct, Code of Ethics, Safeguarding Policy and the Prevention of sexual exploitation, abuse and anti-harassment PSEAH and Policy on anti-money laundering and anti-terrorism financing. The officer has the obligation to observe professional secrecy on any confidential information which may have been known because of the nature of the work.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references, and appropriate screening checks can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of, and consent to, these safe recruitment procedures.
Send a one-page cover letter and a 3 page detailed CV to: [email protected]
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Caritas Zimbabwe is celebrating 50 years of humanitarian and development work in Zimbabwe. Having been established in 1972, the organisation has continued to develop social justice and has become a beacon of hope for millions of children, women and men. Since 2014 Caritas Zimbabwe has been registered in Zimbabwe as a Private Voluntary Organisation (PVO 25/2014) in terms of subsection (5) of section 9 of the Private Voluntary Organization Act (17:05).The organisation is a member organisation of Caritas Internationalis (CI) (www.caritas.org), one of the largest international confederation with a network of more than 165 Catholic relief, development and social service organisations in over 200 countries and territories, working to build a better world, especially with and for the poor regardless of their religion, race, gender or ethnicity.
Job Scam Alert
Do not pay anything in Job Search .
The Employer should pay you not the other way
Don’t Be Scammed.
Follow Hot Zimbabwe Jobs on Twitter
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
FOR UPDATES VIA WHATSAPP CLICK HERE
Click HERE to join Hot Zimbabwe Jobs Telegram Channel