Station : Bamako, Mali
Closing Date : 19 September 2022
African Union (AU)
Vacancy : Senior Policy Officer – Research
Purpose of Job
Reporting to the Principal Officer, Research & Capacity Building, the Senior Policy Officer, Research is responsible for conducting/commissioning research/studies on migration in the assigned region).
- Provide technical and intellectual support in the management of various elements related to the area of expertise
- Identify best practices and monitor effectiveness of the Center’s activities.
- Provide support to the development of the strategies and business continuity plan and participate in/ensure their implementation
- Foster and ensure implementation of initiatives related to area of specialization;
- Assist in the organization of thematic networks, consultations and meetings on development cooperation and international relations.
- Provide technical guidance on matters relating to system review and implementation project in area of specialization, as required.
- Develops strategic and annual activity work-plans for his/her assigned region in line with the Centre’s strategic goals, objectives and priorities.
- Develops technical proposals and budgets on migration research in accordance with the Centre’s strategic priorities.
- Identifies and conducts research/studies in his/her assigned region in line with the Centre’s strategic priorities.
- Oversees the engagement and supervision of consultants commissioned to undertake migration research/studies for the Centre.
- Monitors performance and prepares progress reports for the research portfolio.
- Designs monitoring and evaluation systems and participates in the monitoring and evaluation of activities under his/her purview.
- Organizes regional and continental workshops, seminars and conferences;
- Contributes to the compilation of the African journal, and strategy papers on migration.
- Participates in relevant regional/continental working groups to ensure coordination of work plan development, implementation strategies and evaluation plans for applicable activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Principal Officer (Research & Capacity Building).
- Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Master’s degree in Migration, Political/Social Science, International Relations or other related disciplines and seven (7) years relevant work experience OR Bachelor Degree in the above areas of study and ten (10) years relevant work experience indicated below
- Relevant work experience (continued and combined) should be in the following areas:
- Conducting research in the area of migration and/or related issues.
- Implementing large-scale migration programmes, with emphasis on project development, strategic planning, migration policy formulation, implementation and evaluation.
- Comprehensive knowledge of research methods and experience in managing large projects.
- A deep understanding of the African migration landscape.
- Proven experience interacting with international and regional public partner agencies.
- Proven track-record of working and liaising with high-level government and donor officials.
- Demonstrable experience in supervising and leading teams of consultants, and delegating tasks and authority.
- Demonstrable experience in drafting technical documents for executive level consumption and/or peer review.
- An understanding of the African Union way of working and managing associated relationships with Member States/RECs and partners is preferred.
- Considerable technical expertise and experience in supporting and managing complex programmes with special emphasis on social research and migration.
- Excellent analytical skills to respond to trends in emerging migration issues, and to develop, apply and adjust programme strategies and policies to further agency Centre’s mission, goals and objectives.
- Excellent skills to conceptualize, plan, develop, implement, monitor and evaluate programmes.
- Excellent diplomatic, representational, inter-personal skills, including experience in interacting with stakeholders and decision-makers in order to build strong collaborative relationships with governments and partners.
- Mastery of migration issues on the continent.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, in particular proven ability to write clear and concise reports;
- Excellent organizational skills and a proven ability to deliver under tight deadlines.
- Excellent project planning and management skills for organizing, planning and executing projects from conception through implementation.
- Demonstrated ability with regard to computer skills, including excellent word-processing capabilities, proficiency with e-mail and internet applications and experience in using office software applications such as MS Excel, Power Point and Word and software packages for statistical analysis of social science data (e.g. SPSS, SurveyMonkey, etc).
- Leadership and management abilities
- Ability to work under pressure, stay on track and meet deadlines
- Analytical and problem solving abilities.
- Personal commitment, goal oriented and drive for results, flexibility and respect for diversity.
- Ability to operate in a multicultural environment.
- High level of autonomy at work, yet with profound team-spirit
- Adaptive, patient, resourceful, resilient and flexible
- Pro-active and solutions oriented
- Strategic Insight…
- Change Management..
- Managing Risk…
- Building Relationship…
- Accountable and Complies with Rules…
- Learning Orientation…
- Communicating with Influence…
- Conceptual thinking…
- Job Knowledge and information sharing…
- Drive for result..
- Continuous improvement orientation…
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese,Swahilli and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 37,453.00 (P3 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (52% of basic salary), Housing allowance of US$ 20,097.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Applications must be made not later than September 19, 2022.
Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
The Africa Union is an equal-opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Though we make every effort to verify the authenticity of our posts, We’re in no way affiliated to any of these companies whose vacancies we publish.
Job Scam Alert
Do not pay anything in Job Search .
The Employer should pay you not the other way
Don’t Be Scammed.
Follow Hot Zimbabwe Jobs on Twitter
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
FOR UPDATES VIA WHATSAPP CLICK HERE
Click HERE to join Hot Zimbabwe Jobs Telegram Channel
- Apprenticeship Intake
- Army Recruitment
- Careers A-Z
- Common Interview Questions
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- HOT INTAKES
- HOT TIPS
- HOT ZIM JOB NEWS
- HOT ZIM JOBS
- HOT ZIM TENDERS
- How to
- International Days
- International Jobs
- JOB SEARCH GLOSSARY
- Jobs in Algeria
- Jobs in Botswana
- Jobs in Cameroon
- Jobs in Ethiopia
- Jobs in Gabon
- Jobs in Gambia
- Jobs in Ghana
- Jobs in Mali
- Jobs in Morocco
- Jobs in Rwanda
- Jobs in Sudan
- Jobs in Tanzania
- NURSING INTAKE
- Polytechnic Colleges
- Teachers College
- University Intakes
- Vocational Training
- ZPCS Recruitment