Soil Science Consultant (Harare): Welthungerhilfe
Deadline: 29 June 2021
Welthungerhilfe is one of the largest, privately-held, non-denominational, and politically independent German non-governmental organizations in the area of development co-operation and emergency relief; Primarily in co-operation with local partner organizations, its task is to contribute to improved income and nutrition for the poorest rural populations in Africa, Asia, and Latin America; Welthungerhilfe has been implementing projects in Zimbabwe almost continuously since 1980; Currently, the organization together with its partners has projects in 5 Provinces. Sector focus is on Food and Nutrition security including WASH, and when necessary Emergency response;
WHH together with ICRISAT, CTDO and SAT are implementing a project entitled “Zimbabwe Agricultural Knowledge and Innovation Systems” which is funded by the European Union under the Zimbabwe Agricultural Growth Programme”. Part of this project involves addressing communication challenges between agriculture stakeholders in Zimbabwe. One of the strategic arms of this project is Extension and one key deliverable is to improve the Inservice training for public extension staff.
WHH together with ICRISAT, CTDO and SAT are implementing a project entitled “Zimbabwe Agricultural Knowledge and Innovation Systems” which is funded by the European Union under the Zimbabwe Agricultural Growth Programme”; The ZAGP was formulated by the European Union and the Government of Zimbabwe under the 11th European Development Fund; The central premise for ZAKIS is the establishment of Agricultural Centre of Excellence (ACE) as a focal point for integrated knowledge and innovation services, bringing together agricultural research, education, and extension;
Expected Work Delivery
- Develop a user-friendly soil science manual for extensionist that allows easy advisory to farmers for sustainable crop production;
- The manual should appreciate that soil is a heritage which should cover physical, chemical and biological soil management to enhance crop yields and reduce soil degradation;
- Extensionist must be able to identify different soil types and ways to manage them, The manual must help the extension workers to interpret soil results and provide advisory on fertilizer and lime issues;
- Provide extension workers will ability to advise farmers on appropriate crop for their field; To develop a manual with potential problematic soils in Zimbabwe;
- The manual must provide alternative use of problem soil and way to bring them back into production;
- The manual must also allow extension workers to appreciate the impact of climate change on crop production;
- Extensionist must be aware of new innovations which can help farmers to build soil fertility and ensure food security.
- Advanced degree in soil science;
- Extensive experience in soil fertility management (covering physical, chemical and biological aspects), soil sampling, fertilizer and lime recommendations, land use evaluation, pedology, farmer typologies and resources with farming systems;
- Soil fertility management options, crop production, integration of crop and livestock production, provincial, national and regional experience;
- An established track record in Zimbabwe soils, climate and crop fertilizer needs;
- Knowledge ability of the Agricultural and Development sectors is an added advantage;
- An appreciation of Government processes and establishing collaborations with development partners;
- Experience in the Zimbabwe academic fraternity especially state institutions;
- Prior experience in research and innovation services;
- Proven history of experience in IOTs and ICTs in Agriculture;
- Prior experience in working in a soil chemistry laboratory.
During the application process, WHH will not charge any fee nor will it require any payment for an application to be considered. WHH is an equal opportunity employer and employs personnel without regard to race, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, language, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status and or physical handicap; Persons with disability are encouraged to apply;
Please send the proposal and additional documents to: [email protected]
Please state the position applied for in the subject line of the email. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.