Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Closing date : 19 December 2022
African Union (AU)
Vacancy : Translator ( Kiswahili)
Purpose of Job
To translate official documents ensuring the highest standard of accuracy by maintaining the original spirit, context and quality of the original version using precise, clear and proper terminology.
- Provides support in the preparation and Implement the programmes developed out of the Division’s strategic plan
- Ensures effective coordination and implementation at various levels
- Liaises with Member States, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), and other stakeholders including on relevant matters
- Prepares and develops reports, budget and work programmes related to the functioning of the Division
- Conducts complex analysis and generates accurate reports in a timely manner for the Division and AU’s internal use.
- Liaises with the various Departments/Units of the Commission for coordination and alignment purposes
- Prepares budgets for the Division in accordance with relevant frameworks.
- Supports the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets as may be required.
- Contributes in the development of strategies, policies, programmes and plans
- Ensures quality Kiswahili translation of working documents on a wide range of subject matters in a timely manner
- Checks working documents before and after translation to ensure contextual understanding, linguistic accuracy and conformity with established AU terminology;
- Facilitates consultations with colleagues, specialised dictionaries, glossaries, data banks;
- Participates in the development of AU terminology database by compiling terms in the course of their work into glossaries for subsequent validation by the Reviser and inclusion in the DCMP in-house terminology bank;
- Performs any other duty relevant to their work as may be assigned by the Director or Head of Division.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree in Translation, Modern Languages or related fields from a recognized institution with seven (7) years’ experience as a translator out of which 3 years are at expert level.
- Candidates with a Bachelor Degree in the above fields of study will be considered provided they have a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant work experience as translator out of which 3 years are at expert level;
- Certification of translators’ professional member status from a recognized professional body is an added advantage
- The candidate for each position is required to translate into their A language, thus an English Translator must have English as their A language; a French translator must have French as their A language, and so on for all other AU working languages.
- Knowledge of the Computer assisted translation (CAT) tools;
- Management and supervisory skills
- Word processing skills, especially the ability to type and format own work;
- Communication, report writing and presentation skills
- Negotiation and Interpersonal skills
- Planning and organizational skills
- Research and analytical skills
- Knowledge in managing international protocols
- Ability to work in teams and in a multi-cultural environment
- Knowledge and working understanding of AU policies, strategies and work processes.
- Knowledge in the use of Microsoft Office suite and AU computer programmes
- Proficiency in two of the AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Arabic or Spanish) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage;
Strategic Insight ….
Building Relationship ….
Accountable and Complies with Rules…
Communicating with Influence:
Job Knowledge and information sharing…
Drive for Results
Continuous Improvement Orientation:
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 37,453.00 (P3 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), a Housing allowance of US$ 22,932.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Applications must be made not later than 19th December 2022
Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Disclaimer: Though we make every effort to verify the authenticity of our posts, We’re in no way affiliated to any of these companies whose vacancies we publish.
Job Scam Alert
Do not pay anything in Job Search .
The Employer should pay you not the other way
Don’t Be Scammed.
SUBSCRIBE on Youtube
Follow Hot Zimbabwe Jobs on Twitter
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
FOR UPDATES VIA WHATSAPP CLICK HERE
Click HERE to join Hot Zimbabwe Jobs Telegram Channel
- Agriculture College
- Apprenticeship Intake
- Army Recruitment
- Careers A-Z
- Common Interview Questions
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- HOT INTAKES
- HOT TIPS
- HOT ZIM JOB NEWS
- HOT ZIM JOBS
- HOT ZIM TENDERS
- How to
- International Day
- International Jobs
- JOB SEARCH GLOSSARY
- Jobs in Algeria
- Jobs in Botswana
- Jobs in Cameroon
- Jobs in China
- Jobs in Egypt
- Jobs in Ethiopia
- Jobs in Gabon
- Jobs in Gambia
- Jobs in Ghana
- Jobs in Ivory Coast
- Jobs in Lesotho
- Jobs in Malawi
- Jobs in Mali
- Jobs in Morocco
- Jobs in Nigeria
- Jobs in Rwanda
- Jobs in South Africa (SA)
- Jobs in Sudan
- Jobs in Tanzania
- Jobs in Zambia
- NURSING INTAKE
- Polytechnic Colleges
- Teachers College
- University Intakes
- Vocational Training
- Volunteer Jobs
- ZPCS Recruitment